January 09, 2008

Lagunitas' IPA -- Four Beers


This is an excellent IPA. "Suicidally hoppy" is right. Nothing but hops, all the way down, in this one, but by no means in a bad way. Even with such a powerful hop kick, it's still gentle enough to be light and leave only a little aftertaste. It has what I think of as a "tight" carbonation too, where you don't feel bubbles or excess gas in your mouth, but there's a tingle all through your mouth, as if the bubbles were just smaller than usual somehow. More like champagne than pop. I don't remember the price, but I'll check later. A four if it's cheap, a three otherwise, and it'll definitely become a regular for me. [Update: now that I'm rating out of six beers--what was I thinking rating out of five beers and not six?--it's a four either way.]

[Label text:
-Thanks for choosing to spend the next few minutes with this special homicidally hoppy ale. Savor the moment as the raging hop character engages the IMperial Qualities of the Malt Foundation in mortal combat on the battlefield of your palate!
-Life is Uncertain, Don't Sip!]

No comments:

Post a Comment