February 27, 2008

Green Flash Brewing Co.'s Barleywine Style Ale -- Two Beers


I bought this beer, 'cause I wanted to try out a barleywine, and was in my first real beer-selection alcohol store since good old Half Time in Poughkeepsie (Best. Beer. Store. Ever.). It was interesting, and I could... possibly buy it again. I don't think I would though, but only because it's not exactly my type of beer, though I could clearly see someone else enjoying it, if this were their cup of suds. It had a rich but mild hop flavour (not even close to IPA hops, barely a pale ale hop); and a deep, deep malt flavour, like of a stout or porter. It also had an sweet side to it that was almost enjoyable, only it wasn't enough of a fruity sweet, and too much of a caramel sweet, for me. Even though it had the malt flavours of a stout/porter, it didn't have the thickness, which I enjoyed. But, for $4 for 24 oz., the price was a little steep.

No comments:

Post a Comment