December 30, 2007

Paddockwood's Bock -- Three Beers


Another Paddockwood tonight. I can't say too much about this beer, because I haven't had too many bocks--though, after this one, I'll keep an eye out. As the text on the label says, it's definitely very malty, but what I liked about it was that it didn't get thick in texture, like a stout or a porter does, nor did it get sort of, sickly sweet like I think some do. The maltiness was thoroughly toasty and not at all syrupy, and the beer remained a liquid instead of a meal in a glass. But, maybe, that's just something I like about all bocks over stouts/porters. (Don't get me wrong, I like stouts and porters, but there's only so much black froth I can drink in a night.) Oh, and, the 7% alc/vol is a nice bonus. Like the Rye IPA, though, when I bought it, it was a bit pricey per bottle ($3-something). I'm pretty sure, though, from buying at the microbrewery itself, that it would probably be cheaper by the sixpack, straight form the source. One star off for price, one star off 'cause I don't know how else a bock's supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment