December 30, 2007

Paddockwood's Rye IPA -- Four Beers


I think it's fitting that my first beerpost is of an IPA. If you keep reading this beerblog, and I keep writing it, you'll soon learn that I'm not just a cerevisaphile, but a hophead.

This beer, and a few others, are quickly convincing me that Paddockwood is a fantastic microbrewery. And Canadian! Other than... that one that makes Maudite etc., the only Canadian microbrewery I know, and I'm proud to say it's in Saskatoon. Paddockwood's beers are consistently full-flavoured; I'd feel comfortable picking any beer of theirs at random to try, because I know I'd enjoy it.

The Rye IPA is a great beer, though I wouldn't really say the rye entirely adds anything distinctively rye--that is, if you didn't tell me it was a Rye IPA, I wouldn't've thought it weren't a regular IPA. But, for an IPA, it really does a good job. It's a whole mouthful of hops, but without getting soapy like some super-IPAs do, and without losing a light aleness. The only reason I won't give it five stars is the price: here in little old Moose Jaw, at least, it was sold by the bottle, at almost $5. And I hate paying that kind of price, even when they're pouring it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment